Dar es Salaam, Tanzania & Mumbai, Maharashtra, India:
- Senator Dr. Rasha Kelej, Merck Foundation CEO: “We have provided 37 scholarships of one-year Diploma and two-year Master Degree to Tanzanian doctors in partnership with Tanzania Ministry of Health, and will continue scaling up the number of scholarships provided to doctors in many underserved and critical medical specialties such as: Fertility, Embryology, Oncology, Diabetes, Critical Care, Endocrinology, Dermatology, Cardiology, Clinical Psychiatry, Pain management, Preventative Cardiovascular Medicine, Respiratory Medicine, Women’s Health and more.
Senator Dr. Rasha Kelej expressed, “It was a pleasure meeting The President of Tanzania. Our vision is to provide quality and equitable healthcare solutions to underserved and vulnerable populations, leading Africa and rest of the world to a healthier future. We are committed to transforming Patientcare landscape in Africa through our scholarship programs. So far, more than 1580 scholarships have been provided to young doctors from 50 countries in 36 critical and underserved medical specialties.
It has been a great honor to meet H.E. Dr. SAMIA SULUHU HASSAN, President of the United Republic of Tanzania to underscore our continued commitment to health and social development in Tanzania. She is a great leader; we, all African women, are truly proud of her great achievements and success. She is a true role model for all of us.”
Merck Foundation recently conducted the Merck Foundation Alumni Summit in Tanzania to meet their Alumni and an Award Ceremony to recognize the winners of Merck Foundation Awards. The Summit was co-chaired by Prof. Dr. Frank Stangenberg Haverkamp and Senator, Dr. Rasha Kelej, CEO of Merck Foundation. During the Summit, Merck Foundation also conducted the 2nd edition of their Health Media Training for the Tanzanian Media Representatives in partnership with Media Council of Tanzania and Dar es Salaam City Press Club (DCPC). The training was conducted to emphasize on the important role that media plays to influence our society to create a cultural shift with the aim to address wide range of social and health issues such as: Breaking Infertility Stigma, Supporting Girl Education, Women Empowerment, Ending Child Marriage, Ending FGM, Stopping GBV, Raising Diabetes Awareness etc.
Moreover, Merck Foundation CEO announced the Call for Applications for their 8 important awards for Media, Musicians, Fashion Designers, Filmmakers, students, and new potential talents in these fields.
- Merck Foundation Africa Media Recognition Awards “More Than a Mother” 2023
- Merck Foundation Fashion Awards “More Than a Mother” 2023
- Merck Foundation Film Awards “More Than a Mother” 2023
- Merck Foundation Song Awards “More Than a Mother” 2023
- Merck Foundation Media Recognition Awards “Diabetes & Hypertension” 2023
- Merck Foundation Fashion Awards “Diabetes & Hypertension” 2023
- Merck Foundation Film Awards “Diabetes & Hypertension” 2023
- Merck Foundation Song Awards “Diabetes & Hypertension” 2023
“We will continue with our partnership with Government of Tanzania and Ministry of Health to scale up our scholarship programs to 36 specialties such as Preventative Cardiovascular, Diabetes care, Acute care, Respiratory care, Gastroenterology, Dermatology, Clinical Microbiology and infectious diseases, Neuroimaging for Research, Internal Medicine, Pediatric Emergency Medicine, Neonatal Medicine, Ophthalmology, Laparoscopic Surgical Skills, Critical Care, Psychiatry and more, to create a stronger platform of skilled and specialized Tanzanian doctors in the public healthcare sector,” added Senator Rasha Kelej.
About Merck Foundation
The Merck Foundation, established in 2017, is the philanthropic arm of Merck KGaA Germany, aims to improve the health and wellbeing of people and advance their lives through science and technology. Our efforts are primarily focused on improving access to quality & equitable healthcare solutions in underserved communities, building healthcare and scientific research capacity and empowering people in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) with a special focus on women and youth. All Merck Foundation press releases are distributed by e-mail at the same time they become available on the Merck Foundation Website. Please visit www.merck-foundation.com to read more. Follow the social media of Merck Foundation: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and Flickr
Click here for Media Contact Details
Mehak Handa (Community Awareness Program Manager), Merck Foundation, [email protected], +91-9310087613, +91-9319606669